Skip to main content

Define Your Marketing Message Before Writing

 


Business owners and writers all have to market their products or services. Often, they throw mud against a wall hoping something will stick. This strategy works when you are trying to find new opportunities that you did not know previously. However, if you are trying to get your message across to potential clients, then you might be throwing money at a problem without knowing what the solution is. Writers know that they have to write to the person who is likely to read the book or novel. They are not writing for everyone. They are picking a person or type of person and writing to him or her. Business owners should adopt that strategy too and be persistent about it. They should define their message before they post on social media, in blogs or in printed materials. Here are some tips to help you define your message and earn more profits.

1. Know Your Potential Client -- So much is said about avatars and narrowing the demographics to figure out who is likely to buy from you. An easier way of doing it is picking a group to target or people you want to help and create your message to them. For example, while I could work for healthcare companies, I choose not to work for them. My messages will not apply to those in that field. They also will not apply to large corporations. They usually have many employees to handle their marketing, social media and public relations. I always write to the business owner who has a few employees and is marketing their company with several methods. For my novels, I write to women because I know my books appeal more to women than men. If the target you pick doesn't work, go for another group.

2. Know Where You Are Putting Your Message -- Each platform is different and should have a different message. Facebook is geared more for social activity, events and building friendships. I have created separate lists, such as family, business people and friends in Florida. That way I be specific to who sees my post. If I have a book signing, I send to Florida. If it is personal post, I send to family and friends. If it is about business, I send to the business people I know. LinkedIn is geared for business owners. I usually do not post personal things on that site. The people on LinkedIn tend to have a higher income and are more willing to buy your services. On my Google Business profile, I post business items and events. Google will have your post show up in rankings when you post to your profile. USA.life is for Christians and conservatives. I post information about Christian Marketing Experts or my faith on that site. Alignable is designed to help people. I comment with professionalism and ask questions without promoting. In this blog, I write to writers and small business owners. In my postcards, I ask general questions designed to entice people to buy from me. When I go to events, I figure out who is attending and what message I should tell them when they come to my table.

3. Know What You Want to Say -- Each piece of marketing should be handled with a different message. Remember that you always should keep your message short. People don't want a dissertation about your product or service. Give them a little to whet their appetite and let them call you for more. After you keep it short, think about what your message will be. For example, if you will be attending an event, make the message an invitation to come and support you or just talk about the event. If you are promoting a new product, let your message introduce the product. If you want brand awareness, write something that reminds people of what you do.

4. Have a Call to Action -- Whether it is content on your website, a post on social media or a note on a postcard, you should always have a call to action. In social media posts include a picture or video and a link. On a postcard, you should have them contact you for more information. You should have calls to action on your website, like fill out the form for more information or call now. Your campaign should have calls to action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows Provide Beautiful Inspiration

    In June, rainbows are used for ugly references to people who do things they shouldn't. Instead of using rainbows as symbols for that, try using rainbows for inspiration for your writing. 1. Beautiful Colors -- If you have ever seen rainbows after a storm in the sky, the colors are vivid against a dark stormy sky . These can make you think of colorful descriptions for your settings. Everyone knows the seven colors of a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and indigo). However, the colors of the sky can range from a bluish gray to a deep charcoal when a rainbow appears. Those bright colors against the deep charcoal can be impactful.  2. Resilience -- They also can represent resilience of your characters. When a rainbow appears, it is usually after much destruction has happened. In your stories , the characters might have had to endure something similar and came through the problem with stronger life. They are shown to be resilient. In addition to fiction, rainbows

This Earth Day, Know Environmental Myths

  I love spring . It has beautiful colors, lots of sunlight and warmer weather. Earth Day is part of spring too. Throughout my journalism career , I studied and wrote writing about the environment. Because Earth Day is coming, I thought I would share some of the myths associated with saving the environment. While I am in favor of saving our natural resources , I save the environment with balance, prayer and patience . You might not agree with me. That is fine. This country was founded on the principle that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Here are some environmental myths. 1. Go Solar -- While it is a good idea to get solar for your home and generate renewable energy, solar power is not as simple as everyone thinks. Adding solar to your home could cost you $15,000 to $50,000 up front. There are tax credits and rebates available from the states and federal government, but those programs almost always require you to shell out the money and then get reimbursed. Also

Books to Buy During Easter

  Easter is just a few weeks away. Instead of writing about marketing or editing tips, I thought I would highlight some Christian books that you could buy for gifts. The Thief, the Harlot and the Healer tells a fictional story of strength and courage in 33 A.D. of a woman who had no rights. The main character by Mike E Clements was abducted as a young woman and forced into prostitution. She has the courage to leave the brothel and is looking for salvation, but she doesn't believe her life is worth saving despite what people tell her. The story leads the reader to Rachel kneeling before the cross and understanding how much God loves her. Words in Red: Witness for the Prosecution thinks about the people around Jesus and what they did for a living. The main character is a scribe for a leader in the Jewish religion who is trying to get evidence he can use to prosecute Jesus to death. The writer follows Jesus throughout his life and listens to His teachings. Colin Rank captures how