Skip to main content

Don't Have to Love Valentine's Day to Write About It

 


You might be surprised to know that I write romance novels but hate Valentine's Day. This might seem odd. I write about love, but I don't like the day dedicated to love. In novels, the romance and love you write is a permanent love, one that lasts forever, not just one day. However, you don't have to like Valentine's Day to write about it. Here are some tips to include Valentine's Day in your writing, regardless of the type of author you are.


  1. Have Something Happen – In The 1776 Musket, a bombing takes place on Valentine's Day. Although it seems like I did it because I don't like the day, that wasn't my motivation. I needed a date that involved a lot of people who go out on dates. My novel was set in winter, so Valentine's Day made sense. Now, I see that my unconscious mind might have been a influential piece in this case. For you, if you are a science-fiction author or a fantasy author, you could have a spaceship land on Earth on Valentine's Day or a wizard needs the day of love for an experiment or spell. You could have the goddess of love interfere with couples on Valentine's Day. If you write romance, a special date might happen on Valentine's Day. If you write mystery, a murder could take place.

  2. Tell a Story – If you write nonfiction, you might have a special story that involved Valentine's Day that would make your point. Use the holiday to tell that story to your readers and fan base. Even if the event happened before or after Valentine's Day, you still might be able to use the holiday to drive your point home. The reader doesn't know the exact date of your story. Make it believable and drive your point home.

  3. Compare – Use Valentine's Day behaviors to compare to events in your blogs or nonfiction books. You also might be able to use Valentine's Day to compare to other things in fiction. It would depend on the plot and how you are using Valentine's Day to compare. For example, I have read best-selling authors who have compared their fictional couples' Valentine's Days from previous love interests to their current one. If you are writing a book for inspiration, you could compare Valentine's Day to other special days of the year to give the right point that would inspire others.

  4. Use It Differently – Everyone thinks of hearts, candy, flowers and cards as symbols of Valentine's Day, but how much more of an impact would you create if you used a different symbol in your writing? For example, I wrote on Christian Marketing Experts blog that Jesus is the true symbol of love on Valentine's Day. If you write blogs for home improvement, you could discuss how changing paint color to one you love would be a good Valentine's Day gift for your spouse. If you write about dentistry, you could discuss how candy from Valentine's Day would harm your teeth. If you write about health and nutrition, you could talk about Valentine's Day and staying true to your diet.


You probably want to know why I hate Valentine's Day so much. When I was in high school, we would sell heart lollipops with messages. Unlike elementary school that forces parents to buy cards for everyone in the class, high school allows you to pick and choose who got the lollipops. I never received any because I met my boyfriends after Valentine's Day and they went to other schools. Then, I went to college. Everyone on my floor in my dorm had boyfriends who gave them big flowers and other gifts. It was hard watching them receive something and not getting one. To me, Valentine's Day is set aside to make those without a significant other feel bad about himself or herself. Even after I met my future husband, I asked him not to give me anything on Valentine's Day. To this day, he will give me a card that we get free in the mail. I am fine with that. He shows he loves me on other days of the year as it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows Provide Beautiful Inspiration

    In June, rainbows are used for ugly references to people who do things they shouldn't. Instead of using rainbows as symbols for that, try using rainbows for inspiration for your writing. 1. Beautiful Colors -- If you have ever seen rainbows after a storm in the sky, the colors are vivid against a dark stormy sky . These can make you think of colorful descriptions for your settings. Everyone knows the seven colors of a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and indigo). However, the colors of the sky can range from a bluish gray to a deep charcoal when a rainbow appears. Those bright colors against the deep charcoal can be impactful.  2. Resilience -- They also can represent resilience of your characters. When a rainbow appears, it is usually after much destruction has happened. In your stories , the characters might have had to endure something similar and came through the problem with stronger life. They are shown to be resilient. In addition to fiction, rainbows

This Earth Day, Know Environmental Myths

  I love spring . It has beautiful colors, lots of sunlight and warmer weather. Earth Day is part of spring too. Throughout my journalism career , I studied and wrote writing about the environment. Because Earth Day is coming, I thought I would share some of the myths associated with saving the environment. While I am in favor of saving our natural resources , I save the environment with balance, prayer and patience . You might not agree with me. That is fine. This country was founded on the principle that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Here are some environmental myths. 1. Go Solar -- While it is a good idea to get solar for your home and generate renewable energy, solar power is not as simple as everyone thinks. Adding solar to your home could cost you $15,000 to $50,000 up front. There are tax credits and rebates available from the states and federal government, but those programs almost always require you to shell out the money and then get reimbursed. Also

Books to Buy During Easter

  Easter is just a few weeks away. Instead of writing about marketing or editing tips, I thought I would highlight some Christian books that you could buy for gifts. The Thief, the Harlot and the Healer tells a fictional story of strength and courage in 33 A.D. of a woman who had no rights. The main character by Mike E Clements was abducted as a young woman and forced into prostitution. She has the courage to leave the brothel and is looking for salvation, but she doesn't believe her life is worth saving despite what people tell her. The story leads the reader to Rachel kneeling before the cross and understanding how much God loves her. Words in Red: Witness for the Prosecution thinks about the people around Jesus and what they did for a living. The main character is a scribe for a leader in the Jewish religion who is trying to get evidence he can use to prosecute Jesus to death. The writer follows Jesus throughout his life and listens to His teachings. Colin Rank captures how