Skip to main content

Vacations Can Inspire Writers, Business Owners

I am a firm believer that all business owners must take time away from their work and go on vacation. Many workaholics do not take time off from work, which usually leads to stress and heart problems. Getting away from stress and worries for a time allows you to recharge your batteries and refocus on work. Here are ways vacations can help business owners and writers.



See New Things

Going on vacation means you can see new things and eat different foods. In South Dakota, I ate bison burgers. They were not as fatty as regular burgers and had exceptional flavor. In Wyoming, I had yak burger from a local farm. In Montana, I ate bison lasagna. I enjoy trying new foods. My parents always wanted us to try something different. My mom loves to cook different foods when she entertains and likes to try new recipes regularly. On my trip, I saw several parks, mountains, tribal museums and history. I climbed areas that I thought I couldn't. I saw cultures, cities and vasts amounts of hills and plateaus. It was exciting. I didn't think about work, and I didn't look at e-mail or answer the phone. As a business owner, seeing new things or experiencing different ways of doing things allows me to consider new options for my editing business in Florida.

 

Get Inspired

Authors can get inspired from seeing and doing new things. They can come up with new settings or plots. They also can break writers' block when they are free from their computer. Climbing mountains, seeing monuments, hiking trails, eating foods and discovering history or culture allows me to acknowledge my place in the world. I can imagine things bigger than myself. I can put characters into plots at those locations. It was peaceful on those mountains and in those locations. Writers and marketers should take a trip to places away from cities to get renewed in spirit and purpose.


Challenge Yourself

In business, we read books about challenging yourself. This is the Pictographs Cave in Billings, Mont. It is up a steep trail without railings. There are benches part of the way up to the cave. I am not healthy enough that this climb would be easy for me. I struggled as we climbed, but I was determined to see the cave. I challenged myself to make the trek even when I knew it would be hard. In business and as writers, we need to always challenge ourselves. When we accept challenges and push ourselves to achieve, we can accomplish so much. However, sometimes, it is a vacation that reminds us that we have to challenge our status quo in business and write something new in our books

I also climbed Casper Mountain to see Red Butte, a place where the U.S. army fought the tribes, and explored many plateaus. I enjoyed the mineral springs in South Dakota, which I believe did help my health. I found a newspaper in Montana that could be a profitable opportunity for me. I never would have if I hadn't explored the United States. Go on an adventure and get inspiration for your books and businesses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows Provide Beautiful Inspiration

    In June, rainbows are used for ugly references to people who do things they shouldn't. Instead of using rainbows as symbols for that, try using rainbows for inspiration for your writing. 1. Beautiful Colors -- If you have ever seen rainbows after a storm in the sky, the colors are vivid against a dark stormy sky . These can make you think of colorful descriptions for your settings. Everyone knows the seven colors of a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and indigo). However, the colors of the sky can range from a bluish gray to a deep charcoal when a rainbow appears. Those bright colors against the deep charcoal can be impactful.  2. Resilience -- They also can represent resilience of your characters. When a rainbow appears, it is usually after much destruction has happened. In your stories , the characters might have had to endure something similar and came through the problem with stronger life. They are shown to be resilient. In addition to fiction, rainbows

Settings Give You Time and Place

  In addition to my editing , writing and marketing , I also coach writing for fiction and nonfiction . Many people are unsure how to start. I like to start with characters and setting. When you begin a novel, you have to decide on a setting. It is more than a place. Settings also include time of day, seasons and the year a novel takes place. Settings also could be a state of mind. For example, sometimes, novels are set in people's minds where the main character has created a world. Sci-Fi and Fantasy use people's minds as a setting a lot. Inception or Ready Player 1 are two movies that are primarily in people's minds.  All my novels take place in Philadelphia in modern day. The times and seasons fluctuate depending on what the story is. Many are near the Delaware River, which is the above picture. In my latest book, The 1776 Soldier , I have two settings, one set in fall of 1776 and one in fall of 2023. This was my first time using two different settings. It was a

How to Get Started With Writing in New Year

  Happy new year, fellow writers. I am often told by new authors that they think writing a book is too much work or too daunting a task, yet they always tell me that they think they should write a book. To start the new year, I thought it would be good to give some tips on reducing your stress over writing fiction. 1. Set Goals -- January is the perfect time to set goals for the year. This applies to all writers and business owners. You want the goals to be realistic. For example, "I will write every day." Set a date for when you want it completed. Set another date for editing and marketing . 2. Break Down the Project -- Before you start your work, break down the big project (a completed book) into smaller parts: outline, 10 pages a day or one chapter a week, first draft completed, edited draft, completed manuscript and published. This helps to make it not so daunting a task. Remember, a book is either 6x9 or 8.5x5.5, which means those 10 pages are really half