Skip to main content

Three Tips to Stand Out in Sea of Books



Motivational speakers often talk about owning your thoughts so you do not feel trapped. What you say in your mind determines how you act and feel. Often, it determines how successful you can be. For example, if your car breaks down, you can look at the incident in a couple ways. You can moan and complain that you have the worst luck and are inconvenienced or you can see the bright spot in a mishap. When my car broke down, I thought that I was bound to get more exercise because I had to walk more places. I wouldn't let a situation I can't control interfere with my attitude. You can do the same.

Authors have to control their thoughts every day. If you write fiction, you have to be in charge of the characters' thoughts and movements. If you write nonfiction, your thoughts become the book. If want to be successful, you have to keep out the negativity. People don't want to read about your complaining unless it's humorous. Erma Bombeck was successful doing this. I have met other authors that made complaining into a humorous art form and was successful. But, for the most part, nonfiction books are designed to offer advice and provide you information. You don't want to write a negative book. Therefore, you have to control your thoughts.

Previously, I talked about researching your topic. This column is going to discuss what you want to say. If you are an expert on motivational topics and you want to add a book to your successful coaching business, you need to know what you want to say. Every author has the same problem. How do I make my book different from the millions already on the market?

Find a Niche

To be successful and different, you need to develop a niche for your book. Even if you are talking about owning your thoughts, you need to ensure that your book will not rehash what others talk about regarding owning your thoughts. I read several motivational books. After awhile, they began to sound so similar that I lost interest.

If I were to write a motivational book, I would play to my strengths. I am good at motivating writers and schmoozing with people. Therefore, I would not write a book on motivation topics in general, but those ways that are specific to writers or how to talk with people face to face in a happy hour setting. These two topics are the ones I know the most. I wouldn't begin to advise people on how to make money investing through motivating speeches because I have never done that.

Therefore, figure out what are your strengths and write to that. Make the topic narrow enough that you can focus your information but broad enough that you can write a book.

Know Your Market

When you have your niche, you are able to market your book more easily. If you want to use your book as another marketing tool or if you just want it to sell, you need to know your target market. For my motivational book, my target market is budding writers. For the networking book, my target market would be startups and small businesses. I wouldn't waste my time trying to capture the same people that financial advisers are trying to get with their investment strategy books. I wouldn't waste my time trying to reach the same audience as best-selling motivational speakers books.

Knowing your market allows you to be careful where you spend your marketing dollars, which would ensure greater success in selling your books. At the same time, you will have to be open to marketing avenues that you might not have considered. One of my clients has written a book on being successful in marriages. I suggested he try bridal shows as a marketing avenue.

Be Positive

Remember that best-selling books don't occur overnight. It takes time to build a following and working your market. The key is getting reviews and people to tell other people about the book. But, during the process, you have to be positive and own your thoughts. Keep your thoughts organized and make your book flow like a river to produce the best book you can. That will ensure you have the best start to your marketing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows Provide Beautiful Inspiration

    In June, rainbows are used for ugly references to people who do things they shouldn't. Instead of using rainbows as symbols for that, try using rainbows for inspiration for your writing. 1. Beautiful Colors -- If you have ever seen rainbows after a storm in the sky, the colors are vivid against a dark stormy sky . These can make you think of colorful descriptions for your settings. Everyone knows the seven colors of a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and indigo). However, the colors of the sky can range from a bluish gray to a deep charcoal when a rainbow appears. Those bright colors against the deep charcoal can be impactful.  2. Resilience -- They also can represent resilience of your characters. When a rainbow appears, it is usually after much destruction has happened. In your stories , the characters might have had to endure something similar and came through the problem with stronger life. They are shown to be resilient. In addition to fiction, rainbows

This Earth Day, Know Environmental Myths

  I love spring . It has beautiful colors, lots of sunlight and warmer weather. Earth Day is part of spring too. Throughout my journalism career , I studied and wrote writing about the environment. Because Earth Day is coming, I thought I would share some of the myths associated with saving the environment. While I am in favor of saving our natural resources , I save the environment with balance, prayer and patience . You might not agree with me. That is fine. This country was founded on the principle that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Here are some environmental myths. 1. Go Solar -- While it is a good idea to get solar for your home and generate renewable energy, solar power is not as simple as everyone thinks. Adding solar to your home could cost you $15,000 to $50,000 up front. There are tax credits and rebates available from the states and federal government, but those programs almost always require you to shell out the money and then get reimbursed. Also

Books to Buy During Easter

  Easter is just a few weeks away. Instead of writing about marketing or editing tips, I thought I would highlight some Christian books that you could buy for gifts. The Thief, the Harlot and the Healer tells a fictional story of strength and courage in 33 A.D. of a woman who had no rights. The main character by Mike E Clements was abducted as a young woman and forced into prostitution. She has the courage to leave the brothel and is looking for salvation, but she doesn't believe her life is worth saving despite what people tell her. The story leads the reader to Rachel kneeling before the cross and understanding how much God loves her. Words in Red: Witness for the Prosecution thinks about the people around Jesus and what they did for a living. The main character is a scribe for a leader in the Jewish religion who is trying to get evidence he can use to prosecute Jesus to death. The writer follows Jesus throughout his life and listens to His teachings. Colin Rank captures how